This Spring I wanted to create a special mantel decoration. I decided to recycle an old seasonal sign that I had previously made. The MDF board had several layers of paint and even though I had removed the previous decorations the surface still had a very rough surface and I sanded the board to try and remove most of the paint. Also to solve the problem of the uneven surface I decided to use a crackle medium paint.
List below is a list of the craft project supplies I used and also complete instructions.
Spring Mantel Artwork supply list
- MDF board, cut to size
- Wooden letters which spell out “Spring”
- Crackle medium “paint”
- Dark brown paint for the base and whitepaint for the topcoat
- Dark green paint for the letters
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Flowers to use as decoration
- Hooks and wire to hang the Spring Mantel Artwork
Spring Mantel Artwork instructions
- Cut the MDF board to size, this is determined by the size and spacing of the wooden letters and the space in which it will be hung.
- Sandpaper the MDF board to smooth any rough surfaces
- Paint the board with dark brown paint, let dry completely
- Cover the entire board with the crackle medium “paint”, let dry completely
- Paint the board with white paint, let dry completely
- Sandpaper the wooden letters to smooth any rough surfaces
- Paint the letters with dark green paint, let dry completely
- Hot glue the letters to the board (Craft Tip: Before starting the project, work out the placement and spacing of the letters)
- Hot glue the flowers to the letters/board
- On the back of the board, attach the picture hanging hook/wire
For more information about the Spring floral arrangement seen on the mantel in the photos, please click on the link to the Spring Mantel Decoration Craft Post.