This year for the upcoming spring season I decided to make a special arrangement for the mantel in our family room. Every year I usually set out two large “Bunnies by the Bay” stuffed white rabbits on the mantel, one on either side of the picture hanging over the fireplace. This year, taking inspiration from the painting of the English countryside, I knew that whatever floral arrangement I made I wanted it to blend with the style and colors of the painting. Instead of using a vase or basket for the container for the arrangement I used a log, the look is similar to the craft project from November – Rustic Table Centerpiece. I think the natural element of the log and the pale colors of the flowers look wonderful displayed on our family room fireplace mantel!
Spring Mantel Decoration
- Several bunches of small flowers (I used a mixture of white and yellow flowers)
- A log
- A drill and small bit for drilling holes in the log
- Wire cutter
- Work gloves, safety glasses (optional but highly advised)
1. Start by selecting a log, the length will be determined by where the floral arrangement is being displayed. Be sure the log is completely dried and “bug-free”.
2. Determine the desired height of the floral stems; use the wire cutters to cut the floral stems to the proper length.
3. Prepare a sturdy flat surface by covering it with newspaper.
4. When selecting a drill, be sure to use one that is equal to the size of the floral stems that are being used. (the holes should be large enough for the floral stems but small enough for the stems to remain upright without tipping over.
5. Place the log on the work surface, using the drill make several holes into the top surface of the log. When drilling the holes vary the placement so that the floral stems are staggered throughout the top of the log.
6. Once the holes are drilled, insert one floral stem into each hole. (optional step – floral stems can be hot glued to secure)
Here is an easy craft project that can be made for the upcoming spring season. After a very harsh winter with heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures here in the Midwest and other parts of the country, I know that I am looking forward to more mild weather and the beauty of the spring flowers. These floral sachets are a perfect way to get in the mood and can be made in an endless variety of colors to match any décor, just select a sachet bag and decorate it with matching or contrasting colors of flowers and ribbons.
Floral Sachets – supplies
- Sachet bags (I used bags that measured 5 inches by 6½ inches)
- Loose lavender buds (other fragrant dried flowers can also be used)
- Full bloom small flowers, several stems
- Bud flowers, several stems
- Ribbon (I used one inch wide variegated green ribbon)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Floral sachets – instructions
- Fill the sachet bags with lavender; leave some room at the top of the bag so it can close with the drawstring.
- Arrange small full flowers and buds together and tie the bunch together with ribbon, trim the excess flower and bud stems, cut the ribbon to a shorter length and angle the ends for a finished look.
- Hot glue the ribbon to the sachet.
There are so many uses for these floral sachets and listed below are a few ideas:
- The floral sachets are a wonderful way to add a subtle fragrance when they are placed in the linen closet with the sheets and towels.
- Tuck a sachet into a lingerie drawer to add a lovely scent to your “unmentionables”!
- The sachets also make wonderful gifts to give as presents to family or friends (just a reminder that Mother’s Day is coming up in May!)
- Add one of the floral sachets to the inside of a gift box when wrapping a gift of clothing. First lay the tissue in the box, set the item of clothing on top and fold the tissue over. Then, lay the sachet on top of the tissue and close the box to finish gift wrapping the present.
- The sachet can also be used as a decorative element on the outside of a gift box and you can coordinate the colors of the sachet to match any gift wrapping paper.
- Add a floral sachet to a car interior, place one under a seat or, since the sachets are so pretty, place one where it can be seen.
Special Warning: Please be careful when using the floral sachets for display and keep them out of reach of small children and animals that can eat or destroy the contents.